- 3 tablespoons ghee, softened
1 tablespoon finely chopped sage and thyme
- 1 whole chicken, patted dry (when you think you’re done, pat again)
Sea salt, as needed]
- 1 roast chicken carcass
- 2 carrots, peeled and diced
- 1 yellow onion, peeled and diced
- 1 celeriac, peeled and diced
- Preheat oven to 475F. Mix the ghee and herbs in a small bowl until well-combined. Place the chicken on a wire cooling rack set into a baking sheet. Season chicken all over with salt, then rub with herbed ghee. Roast chicken until deeply golden brown, about 40-45 minutes. Let rest for 10 minutes before carving into; serve with the saucey brown bits that developed on the pan.
For the stock:
Combine all of the ingredients in a large stockpot. Add 3 quarts water, then set over high heat. Bring to a boil, then reduce heat and simmer for 1 hour, or until the chicken is just-cooked through. Pull chicken out of pot, shred meat finely, discarding (or eating!) the skin. Reserve shredded meat. Return bones to pot, and continue simmering stock another hour. Season lightly, then let cool, and fine-strain into jars. Compost solids. Refrigerate overnight, and skim the fat that’s risen to the surface.