- 2 eggplants (a mix of Asian and Italian is nice!), cut to 1” dice
- Sea salt
- ¼ cup plus 2 tablespoons ghee or olive oil
- 4 garlic cloves, thinly sliced
- 1 small shallot, thinly sliced into rings
- 1 serrano pepper, thinly sliced into rings (or sub with a pinch of crushed red pepper flakes)
- Handful of cherry tomatoes
- 2 large slicer tomatoes, diced
- 1 pound pasta
- Mint leaves, for garnish
- Parsley leaves and tender stems, for garnish
- Basil leaves, for garnish
- Freshly ground black pepper, as needed
- Preheat oven to 425F. Toss eggplant with ¼ cup oil, season with salt, and roast until deeply browned, 15-20 minutes, tossing halfway.
- Meanwhile, make the sauce: heat the remaining 2 tablespoons oil in a large skillet set over medium-high heat. Saute the garlic, shallot, and pepper until softened and starting to brown, about 3 minutes.
- Drop in the cherry tomatoes and allow to burst; stir in the diced tomatoes, season generously with salt, and let sauce simmer gently while eggplant finishes browning.
- Meanwhile, cook the pasta.
- When the pasta is finished cooking, combine the noodles and roasted eggplant with the tomato sauce. Divide among bowls; top with fresh herbs, a splash of olive oil, and crack pepper over.