- ¼ pound bacon, cut crosswise into ½” pieces
- 3 garlic cloves, thinly sliced
- pinch crushed red pepper
- ½ cup tomato paste
- sea salt and freshly ground pepper, as needed
- ½ pound pasta
- 1-2 cups arugula, chopped into 1” lengths
- olive oil, as needed
- flaky salt, for garnish
- Bring a large pot of generously salted water to boil.
- In a large skillet set over medium heat, crisp bacon. Transfer with a slotted spoon to a paper towel-lined plate.
- To the rendered bacon fat, add garlic. Toast until lightly browned, about 2-3 minutes. Transfer, using a slotted spoon, to the plate with bacon.
- Add the pepper, and let sizzle and bloom for 30 seconds. Add the tomato paste, stirring and scraping the bits on the bottom of the pan. Season with salt and black pepper. Cook the paste over medium-low heat until darkened and slightly thickened, about 5-7 minutes.
- Meanwhile, cook the pasta one minute less than is recommended by the manufacturer. Transfer the cooked pasta to the sauce, and toss vigorously to coat. Fold in crisped bacon, garlic, and arugula. Drizzle olive oil over and sprinkle with flaky salt.